Anthony Joshua has confirmed he is “not ready” to fight Gennadiy Golovkins, but he did admit he’s not ready to fight in Russia.
Speaking to RTL television, the 33-year-old former world champion confirmed he had not signed a contract with the Russian team, despite the fact that he’s the first to be signed.
Joshua has not fought since defeating Wladimir Klitschko in September to become the WBO’s interim world champion.
The former world number one had previously been linked to a fight with Russian star Golovny, but Joshua has since backed off his comments, saying he is not ready for a fight in Moscow.
Asked if he’d be willing to fight Golovsky, Joshua replied: “No, absolutely not, absolutely.”
Golovkin has not yet commented on the speculation, but has previously called Joshua’s absence from the bout a “huge blow”.
Joshua said he was not ready but would have to wait and see what Golovnik does.
“I’m not ready, but if he (Golowyk) wants to fight, of course, he has to fight me, I’m ready for that,” he said.
“It’s a fight.
Joshua’s win over Klitschkos was the second of his career and was the first fight to take place in Russia since he was 18.”
The whole thing is about to happen, I have to prepare myself and see the fight.”
Joshua’s win over Klitschkos was the second of his career and was the first fight to take place in Russia since he was 18.
Joshua was scheduled to fight Sergio Martinez in the rematch between the two men at Wembley Stadium in December.
Joshua, who has won the WBA title twice, said he had a lot to prove, adding: “I’m in a position now that I have never been in before and I’m proud of that.”
The fight between Joshua and Golovko, the WBC’s world heavyweight champion, is the biggest bout in the sport and one of the biggest fights in the history of boxing.
Joshua and Golovek are scheduled to meet on February 22 in Moscow, where Joshua will face Klitschkov.